Silver League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time sprite altering!

4 posters

Go down

First time sprite altering! Empty First time sprite altering!

Post by Ais-Clear Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Hey there people!
Because I made my avatar and signature sprite specially for this site and have been busy on it for.. atleast a solid 3 hours on the both of them combined
I thought i'd share it here and see whatever you guys feel like saying about it.
I'm no graphical artist and I kept things simple.
I went with Cress as a base for my character and altered moste of the hair in both the the trainer sprite and mugshot  by hand.
The pants and boots are from a.. eeh.. janitor character of Black and White ?
gave the ribbon around the neck something extra and putted a extra button on the vest. It's not allot what I did but as stated first time trying this and I think
it came out pretty oke. Decent enough to use it and not feel emberassed about it <3
Well I'm curious to you guys opinions!
I didn't dare to touch the overworld sprites I can see that going down a road of "heck no" haha
First time sprite altering! Tumblr_nuvq3jRVXh1sklv0uo1_250
Ais-Clear
Ais-Clear
Wild Abra

http://www.twitch.tv/aisplaysgames

Back to top Go down

First time sprite altering! Empty Re: First time sprite altering!

Post by Sdog2864 Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:09 pm

It looks pretty good for a first time using a base, if you want a professional sprinter opinion then ask others and ask silver August, he'd be able to judge it well
Sdog2864
Sdog2864
Splashing Hoppip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:07 pm

It looks really good for a first sprite (that you feel decent about at least). If you want me to critique it in detail, I can do that for ya. Apparently I'm good at that or something.
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0HAIllR_r3u7xbu8f_m3QQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Morel Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:52 pm

I'd like to start off by saying I am not a serious spriter (spritist?) nor a critic, but you've done quite well here. When making sprites, people ought to desire something original to call their own; something that has character and stands out from whatever pieces they used. This is such a piece, great work!

If you wanted some actual critiquing, however, something did catch my eye in a slight twitchy fashion. Along the pants and waistcoat, there is this light gray outline. It gives the clothing, to me anyway, a distinctive rubbery feel. I understand how this might simply be the seem line, shading, or an actual stripe though. Just something I noticed. Not going to even try "reviewing" your, uh, what's it called again? "The bigger work, on the right," never done a thing with those nor do I plan on it. Most I can say is, it looks right.

Hope you consider posting more sprites here. It's a nice past time that's far more accessible when it comes to art, and your work is rather nice.
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:55 am

For first sprites, these are really good. They do have some things that could use some fixing, though.

Firstly, what Morel pointed out was my main thing, and he explained it well, so I shant say anything else on it. However, one thing that he didn't point out was the semi back lighting on the rear leg. It looks like it has another light source shining on it from behind, which really bugs me, especially since that (A) goes against the traditional Pokemon trainer sprite style, where there is only one light source, and (B) the rest of the sprite isn't affected by that weird lighting thing. Another thing is that the shaded in the hair are really close together, and that makes them hard to distinguish from each other. Also, on the statement of distinguishing, the pink lips on the trainer sprite are too light, and blend in too much, and at first glance, it didn't even look like she had a mouth. Maybe darken up the pink a bit just so the mouth is more defined. On the Mugshot, I feel the Pokeball is too small, especially when compared to the one in the trainer sprite's hand. I also feel like the ribbon on the Mugshot could use some black outlining on the inside so the shape is more defined. The face should also have some shading where the hair would be blocking the light. Also, you missed a little spot on the outline of the hair on the Mugshot right acrossed from the eye.

Overall, these are really good, and I look forward to seeing what stuff you make in the future. Also, if you want to, I have a WIP sprite sheet with a bunch of Pokeballs for trainer sprites if you want to use them over the original Pokeball from the Pokemon Breeder's hand, just to give a bit more personality.

Pokeballs:

If you do use them, and you ever submit them to Silver to review, please give credit to me for the Pokeball. Thanks ^^
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Ais-Clear Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:59 am

Professor Morel wrote:I'd like to start off by saying I am not a serious spriter (spritist?) nor a critic, but you've done quite well here. When making sprites, people ought to desire something original to call their own; something that has character and stands out from whatever pieces they used. This is such a piece, great work!

If you wanted some actual critiquing, however, something did catch my eye in a slight twitchy fashion. Along the pants and waistcoat, there is this light gray outline. It gives the clothing, to me anyway, a distinctive rubbery feel. I understand how this might simply be the seem line, shading, or an actual stripe though. Just something I noticed. Not going to even try "reviewing" your, uh, what's it called again? "The bigger work, on the right," never done a thing with those nor do I plan on it. Most I can say is, it looks right.

Hope you consider posting more sprites here. It's a nice past time that's far more accessible when it comes to art, and your work is rather nice.

Thanks! And about the critiqu it's always good to hear what others think!
The white line is indeed "shading" I kept it in the same lines as Cress actual waist coat's "lighting" effect.
So I see where you are coming from.
I personally didn't know how to make it better without it kinda fading out too much.
Personally thinking I kept too much inbetween the lines of the official way of shading and didn't exsperiment enough on how to improve it.
Which I did do on the hair (ofcourse) Since that's pretty much drawn from scratch rather then just altering. =D
Ais-Clear
Ais-Clear
Wild Abra

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:04 am

Well, a good way of shading that follows the basics of the Pokemon shading, but adds a LOT more is detail shading, which is what I mainly try to do. If you look at any of my semi-new sprites (since they're all pretty much over a month old at this point) you'll see what it is.
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Ais-Clear Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 am

LlamaMinister wrote:For first sprites, these are really good. They do have some things that could use some fixing, though.

Firstly, what Morel pointed out was my main thing, and he explained it well, so I shant say anything else on it. However, one thing that he didn't point out was the semi back lighting on the rear leg. It looks like it has another light source shining on it from behind, which really bugs me, especially since that (A) goes against the traditional Pokemon trainer sprite style, where there is only one light source, and (B) the rest of the sprite isn't affected by that weird lighting thing. Another thing is that the shaded in the hair are really close together, and that makes them hard to distinguish from each other. Also, on the statement of distinguishing, the pink lips on the trainer sprite are too light, and blend in too much, and at first glance, it didn't even look like she had a mouth. Maybe darken up the pink a bit just so the mouth is more defined. On the Mugshot, I feel the Pokeball is too small, especially when compared to the one in the trainer sprite's hand. I also feel like the ribbon on the Mugshot could use some black outlining on the inside so the shape is more defined. The face should also have some shading where the hair would be blocking the light. Also, you missed a little spot on the outline of the hair on the Mugshot right acrossed from the eye.

Overall, these are really good, and I look forward to seeing what stuff you make in the future. Also, if you want to, I have a WIP sprite sheet with a bunch of Pokeballs for trainer sprites if you want to use them over the original Pokeball from the Pokemon Breeder's hand, just to give a bit more personality.

Pokeballs:

If you do use them, and you ever submit them to Silver to review, please give credit to me for the Pokeball. Thanks ^^

Let's see how I can explain moste of this. Well ofcourse the shading thing is already explained in the former post so going to the rest.
Allot is not really original it's rather cut and pasted togheter and then recolored.
So, honestly.. I guess I been lazy. The back leg is darker.. I think atleast how I see it..
I ain't too sure about the hair thing.. I dont know for sure how to fix that if i'm truthfull.. Embarassed
I'll see if i can fix the mouth and if the hair ribbon looks better in black outlining.
The pokéball was kinda hard for me for some reason I tried to draw it myself but.. couldn't so I took Iris her pokéball from her mugshot since well..
The Mugshot is obviously not in the same pose as the trainer sprite so I thought "well she is just toying around with the shrunken pokéball or something"
About the shading..
I'm going to admit, here is the lazy part again As much as the back of the hair is unique and drawn by myself the long bang is pretty much traced over
Cress his own bang, and seemingly... he doesn't even have shading for his bang...
Aka once again LAZY of me hahaha... uurgh..
I really had a hard time doing this so near the end I went like "Does it look ok? Yeah it does I think .... flip it i'm editing this another time if I want "
THANKS THOUGH! I'm going to see if I can edit some of the stuff!
Ais-Clear
Ais-Clear
Wild Abra

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:23 am

I'm gald I could give you that little push to edit it up a bit more, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Best of luck to you ^^
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down