Silver League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Are Dubs Better than Subs?

4 posters

Go down

Why Are Dubs Better than Subs? Empty Why Are Dubs Better than Subs?

Post by Kindoflame Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 pm

This seems to be the general rule among anime fans, but I could never figure out way. As long as there is no censoring done, then what's the difference?

EDIT: Oops! I mean to reverse that. People seems to think that subs beat dubs.
Kindoflame
Kindoflame
Lucario Rank

Back to top Go down

Why Are Dubs Better than Subs? Empty Re: Why Are Dubs Better than Subs?

Post by TepigTurtwig Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Most of the difference comes from the voice acting, of course. Since anime is treated with far more respect in the east, you're going to get far more talented and devoted voice actors doing the roles. Furthermore, they can see all the nuance in the original writing, and convey that in their deliveries, while dubs are working with a translated and sometimes completely altered script that will change their delivers drastically. And sometimes, hearing the work in its original language just feels more complete and rhythmic. Those are just a few reasons I think subs beat dubs.

TepigTurtwig
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gangar4999 Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

its that the translation to English is squired by japans formal and non formal sentences stretcher. making the dubbers work harder to make it sound natural and i most cases the under pay voice actors and the ones the do get the dont even give them any direction on how this should sound.

(WARNING FOUL LANGUAGE IF YOU DON'T MIND GO AHEAD)

if you wont a good dub the go for Panty and Stocking as you can tell that the voice actors were have a blast and the words mother f*** are more flownt in dubbed than the ingrish / japan's version.
Gangar4999
Gangar4999
Belated Slowbro

Back to top Go down

Post by TepigTurtwig Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Well....I mean, I don't necessarily search for good dubs. I search for good shows and see if they have good dubs. And I've never liked Panty and Stocking's story so....

TepigTurtwig
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindoflame Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:46 pm

I started watching the Digimon for the 3rd time, except this time I am using the sub instead of the dub. One of the things that instantly stood out to me is that some of the jokes were better in the dub.

Example:

Another case:

However, sometimes the dub's jokes fall flat. In the sub, when the Tia is introducing the kids to the Digimon he says each person's name, a fact about them, and then the person says their name again. The dub wanted to remove this needless repetition, so they replaced each person's line with a joke; watching the scene is kind of painful. In general though, the dub seems to be funnier.

I think that the translators acted like a second set of writers who treat the the Japanese version as a draft they were told to edit. Sometimes that add whole new story elements, like Izzy's theory about the aliens.

Last edited by Kindoflame on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kindoflame
Kindoflame
Lucario Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by TepigTurtwig Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

That is one thing that subs do fail at. After all, they have to directly take the japanese humor and bring it to an audience. I'm sure that joke may have had a punchline in japanese, but not in English.

Humor usually isn't a big issue for me since I tend to avoid humorous shows, which is why I'll never be able to actually watch or read One Piece yet love the over-arching stories, and why I can only watch pieces of Steven Universe episodes.

TepigTurtwig
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by JRaikes Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 pm

honestly its never really bothered me, I prefer dubs but there are a couple of cases where it just felt like the dub cast the wrong voice. as long as it does not affect the drama and effect of the scene, im fine with it

JRaikes
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum