Silver League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4]

5 posters

Go down

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] Empty Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4]

Post by Professor Morel Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:39 pm

I want to get better at spriting as it's far more accessible than drawing for me, and I figure the best way to do that is to allow for some online critique.

It occurred to me as I posted this that a lot of others here at the Silver League use transparent backgrounds. Or maybe they just paint the background to the forum color. Wonder if I should do that...
Anyway, here are various versions of three characters. Top left was my first few attempts, top right the latest.

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] BfI7rel

Left set features my blue-haired Pokemon Collector, Cole. Bottom fellow in the coat, based off an anime binge. Last is a mesh of two in-game trainers (Riley + N = Morel). Upscaled them to 200%. Doesn't really look like it here; sprites are so small. Will probably post more as I get inspiration for them. Usually how it goes. Get an idea, then tear apart any and all sprite models I can get my hands on.

Maybe one day I will make a sprite from scratch... maybe not. Oh, and should I keep all my sprite work secluded to this post thread or am I allowed to make more? I wouldn't clutter up the forums. It'd just be in case this eventually landed on like the bottom of the second page and I wanted to make sure critics could easily find my 'work'. Thanks.

Last edited by Professor Morel on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] Empty Re: Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4]

Post by Pixel Profligate Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:05 pm

These look really good for your first few attemps.
Cole looks the best in my opinion, but his last varient, the arms look weird. I think it's because they are the same arm, and it doesn't quite mesh well.
Morel looks pretty good, but it is painfully obvious that you just spliced Riley and N, but it does look good with the edits you gave it. The arm holding the book looks a little weirdly angled, though.
The bottom one has some problems. Firstly, it looks very feminine for a guy. Secondly, the torso is way too big, or the legs are way too short. Next, the extended arm looks too long. The feet look too small as well. However, a lot of the detail is really good in it. I feel like the colors on the jacket are a little too different. Maybe go for a slightly darker purple for your brighter shade.

Overall, these are pretty good, especially for some of your first sprites. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what else you post.

Also, transparencies as backgrounds are annoying, so I suggest you don't use 'em. You can post new threads for your sprites if you want, or you can keep them here. It's really up to you.
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0HAIllR_r3u7xbu8f_m3QQ

Back to top Go down

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] Empty Re: Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4]

Post by Kitten Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:32 am

These sprites are pretty cool ^^ I love the colors on the first one. And so is the design in general. My main problems with it is that the head is too big in comparison to the body (and especially if you compared it to the other two sprites) and his left arm on the third one has the wrong perspective. Like Llama said, it looks like it was copied and flipped. I would suggest bringing the elbow out more to try to fit the perspective. This video should help give you an idea of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI
Also the hand should go behind the hair. The right arm is good, it just looks like it has two elbows. But other than that, the rest of it looks great and the others arms on the other sprites are good.

The second one is cool, too, and I like that he has a bionic arm. My suggestion would be to thicken up his right arm on the first one, and bring the white shirt down a little. His bionic arm seems to only go up his forearm, but on the first pose it looks like it goes past his elbow. And maybe a different shade of green for the eyes? I know you're trying for a glowy effect, but the neon green doesn't work very well in my opinion. I'd suggest nudging the color slider a little closer to yellow, desaturating, and then brightening the color to get the same effect without the cheap neon color. I tried to illustrate what I mean here: https://i.imgur.com/emFp7rG.png
Everything else with this set of sprites is good.

And lastly Alois Trancy! c: I see the effort, but there are a few issues with them ^^; For all of them, the hair doesn't quite match. Alois' hair is much rounder and messy looking and there's a random cowlick that should be there, but isn't on the sprites. And since the palm of his hand is facing forward (towards us) on the first and second, that means the pokeball on the second one is sticking to the back of his hand. And on all of them, his left elbow is way too low and his feet are too small. His torso also seems rather short. And while I give kudos to the details on the coat, the overall shape of it looks a bit stiff. In references his coat fits closer to his body. And the bow could be reshaped too by making the top half look more like sideways, rounded triangles and the bottom ends longer, more square, and fall with gravity a bit more. It should also be shifted to the right a pixel or two to line it up with the coat. And the bow on his left boot should be shifted to the left a tad to line it up with the middle of the boot. Other than that I can't see anything else that needs to be critiqued.

In general you have pretty cool ideas and your sprites have personality ^^ I can't wait to see more from you! I red lined your sprites in hopes giving you a better idea of what I'm talking about and I hope it helps: https://i.imgur.com/KOBQz4H.png

Last edited by KittenCutie1 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitten
Kitten
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:56 am

Just to clarify, when I said it looked feminine, I ment at first glance, I thought it was a girl. The face and hair just kinda gave off that vibe. I know the character is (or at least dresses) pretty feminine, but he still looks guy.
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Morel Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Couldn't ask for better feedback. To be honest, I'd thought they were okay. But now all the flaws you guys pointed out are staring back at me in shame. Which is good. Glad to know improvement is possible. As for Alois, probably the hardest to create of the bunch. Had the most custom/edits, but if a first glance said the sprite looked feminine, I think I did something right.

Going to keep up my spriting efforts with new designs that all take in the feedback, and I'll also post a cleaner edition of the first trio for a before and after effect.
----------
And even though I would prefer to not make excuses, I do feel I should point out the objective behind each flaw. But no, every critique was spot on. So, thanks for the help. Can't wait to post more.
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 pm

No problem. ^-^ I'm just trying to help out a blooming spriter. You are a great spriter for being fairly new, and I can't wait to see what else you make. I'll keep my eye out for more of your work.

Sprite on!
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Morel Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:49 pm

Okay, here's update No. 2; A Fakemon, three New Sprites, and Three Edits.

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] NcA6KFG

At the top is my first custom Pokemon, Harabi: a combination of the Japanese words for Echidna and Wallaby. Named thusly due to its kangaroo-like pouch and hopping movements whilst possessing the Echidna's spiky mane and being an egg-layer. Is considered the Hoarding Pokemon as Harabi is well known for stealing eggs and creating stockpiles for later meals. Is a Dark/Fighting type. Now, enough of that.

From right to left is Jelly RP Morel, now Doctor Morel/Mister Mask; Mask Origin; and MGS V's Quiet. Mask Origin is a character I've been developing for a while and was 1/3 complete when I was invited to turn Jelly, so I just used the mask on Morel. Meant to be an Officer in the Military for something not Pokemon-Related, but spriting is easier than drawing. So, here the image goes. Next is the sniper Quiet; only thing I want to say here is that the new Metal Gear game is going to be great. Plan on spriting Skull Face and Another before the game's release.

At the bottom are my first three with slight changes. Alois's torso is thinner in proportion to the rest, hair is much messier, and the boots are longer. Morel's right sleeve appears now, and I only changed Cole's back pouch. Considered making the head smaller, but my analysis showed their heads to be of similar sizes. Gary's crazy hair just makes his head look bigger than it is.
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:14 pm

You have some serious talent for a semi-new spriter. I'm actually really impressed with these.

Harabi lools really good for the most part. The only major gripes I have are that the pouch should conform more to the egg in the middle one. I suggest shading it slightly more to make it look like the egg is curving the pouch more. The red ear tufts don't blend into the head super well, either, and they kinda just look shoved on. Also, the closest arm looks like the light shining from the back or right side, as opposed to the rest of the sprite which uses a consistent light source. Also, the bright shade of white doesn't look right on the shiny varient.

Row two...wow. I am seriously impressed with these. RP Morel looks solid, and I don't really have much to say about it besides the mask should have a darker mid-shade, because it is really hard to distinguish from the bright shade. Mask Origin is a really good use of the Eusine sprite from Gen 4. All the detail in this one is fantastic, but the one thing that kinda bugs me is that the lighting seems a tad off. The mask here also has the same problem as RP Morels. Quite, while not my favorite, still lools pretty solid. The biggest problem I have is that the shading on the stomach, again, goes against the rest of the shading on the sprite. It looks light the light source is directly in front of the stomach, but that isn't translated to the rest of the shading, which has the traditional Pokemon light source.

Bottom row, from what I can see, all improved slightly. The slight edits really look a lot better. Well done. And yeah, Blue has some pretty big hair, which does make it look like he has a bog head.
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Morel Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Small update (2.5), just haven't been having too much inspiration lately. Been rather busy.

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] 2A90wtu

Wanted to try out making a youth instead of regular young adult this time. I think it turned out alright. Been getting 'complaints' about my using 200% sized sprites, so I figured posting both sizes would help me decide which I prefer. And personally, I like my upscales more; easier on the eyes.
Anyway, this is "Jay" as I currently call him. Included three versions (not counting the upscale) which possess two different hair styles and vests. I can't decide which I like the most, though.
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Yria/Mara LB Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:48 pm

This looks cute. Its just the overal pose that makes it that way. (Probally just me XD.)

I cant seem to find any real flaw's with it, other then the vest being a bit flat. Try making it stick out more.

Also, I like very first one more.

But overall its a really nice sprite ^^.

Yria/Mara LB
Yria/Mara LB
Bizarre Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixel Profligate Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:50 pm

I know this has nothing to do with the new sprite, but here are your OWs. Enjoy.

Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] JEJIJ9f
Pixel Profligate
Pixel Profligate
Skeleton

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonIgnis Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Professor Morel wrote:Morel's Sprites 'n' Such [Update: 7/4] 2A90wtu

Hey look its Mokuba from Yu-Gi-Oh!
CrimsonIgnis
CrimsonIgnis
Shorts Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Morel Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for the complement, Yria. Always glad to make someone happy. And another thanks to LM (it's totally fine to post the OWs here). As for Ignis, spot on eyes there, friend. Suppose I couldn't help myself after watching 70+ episodes of YGOTAS.
Professor Morel
Professor Morel
Superior Serperior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down