Silver League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6)

3 posters

Go down

Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6) Empty Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6)

Post by Ariakai Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 am

So I've managed to breed 2 perfect IV pokemon so far and am on my third, and the short version is, I've spent a big chunk of my day for the past 4 just running back and forth hatching eggs and the best I can get is 5 IVs.

Is this all down to getting screwed by RNG or is there a trick besides using the destiny knot and 2 pokemon with 5 IVs, and one missing IV in different stats so they might compensate for each other's weakness?

Also, I've been told that I technically only need to raise IVs in the stats I'm going to EV train but there's something about that I don't understand. As I understand it in RPGs, bigger numbers are always better and I'm worried about sacrificing defense or special defense at all if I can help it, the same goes for HP. (although in that case I wanted to train HP on most of my pokemon anyway). None of my pokemon benefit from a low speed stat either and it just seems like raising everything to 31 is good assurance. Especially since I don't think I'm strategic enough to try figuring out whether my opponent is a physical or special attacker. The only IV I'd be willing to sacrifice on my current pokemon is special attack since it isn't going to learn any special moves anyway but I can't use that strategy with every pokemon.

Do people only say this because the grind is massive or do the numbers gained from defense on perfect IVs really not matter?

the reason I feel like they do is because showdown starts everyone off at 31 IVs for everything so I'm worried about just not measuring up to what everyone else is doing and I've simulated battles using a 31 IV spread and still lost as much as I've won.

Anything anyone can say on the subject is helpful, especially some kind of detailed idea of how IVs effect stats at all because I'm working on general RPG rules for the most part.

I'd also like to ask a question about EVs - if they effect how much of a bonus growth your stats get, why do some people say it doesn't matter when you start EV training? I've seen some people say you want to start ASAP and I assume it's so they can take advantage of the stat bonuses? Or do EVs just add to stats retroactively and not on level-up?

(sorry, long post)
Ariakai
Ariakai
Belated Slowbro

Back to top Go down

Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6) Empty Re: Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6)

Post by FutureCreator Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:13 pm

6 perfect ivs aren't necessary on most pokemon, the only ones that get a real boost from that 6th IV are mixed attackers. IVs in general are far less important than the nature your pokemon has. Also, there is no trick to getting the 6th IV other than sheer luck as destiny knot only passes down 5ivs from the parents
FutureCreator
FutureCreator
Post Level: Banned from Ubers

Back to top Go down

Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6) Empty Re: Advice on breeding perfect IVs / is it necessary? (gen 6)

Post by Dragon Arbock Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:54 pm

When you EV train doesn't matter as of gen 5- EVs are now added and stats are recalculated after every battle, or in the case of super training, without battling.

And what Future said about 6 IVs.
Dragon Arbock
Dragon Arbock
Team Rocket Scientist
Team Rocket Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariakai Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Should I still aim for perfect IVs in both defense stats though? Also, if I come up against someone who does do the perfect IV thing, will I stand a chance against them?

Thanks for the replies.
Ariakai
Ariakai
Belated Slowbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Arbock Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 pm

In defenses, sure, unless your defensive base stats are really low to begin with. A lot depends on how you luck out with damage rolls though- I've lived things with one or two health before- if my defenses were not perfect, probably would not have.
Dragon Arbock
Dragon Arbock
Team Rocket Scientist
Team Rocket Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariakai Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks, that's mostly my concern, being able to survive at least 2 hits. The advice is helpful because I still have 3 more pokemon to breed and happened to roll one that is only missing Sp Atk which I don't need, and I'd like to start trying these guys out in battle sooner than later. Very Happy
Ariakai
Ariakai
Belated Slowbro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down