Advice on a grass monotype team

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice on a grass monotype team

Post by Ariakai on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Been trying to build one for a bit now, but I have run into a slight dilemma that I was wondering about.

See, the problem with grass tyles, I notice, is they can't take hits. They have 5 type weaknesses and usually crap defense but they make great sweepers and get access to a lot of utility moves. Since I prefer offensive teams anyway, this is a comfortable playstyle for me, but the big issue is, how do I not get hit, or at least get hit as little as possible?

I have 2 solutions and both of them involve some sacrifices that could be game for my opponent. The first one is to run chlorophylls with 1 prankster (whimsicott, obviously) that knows sunny day and a heat rock. Sunny day will last for 8 turns but it limits me to trying to use chlorophyll abilities, but it does mean I can take advantage of moves like solar beam and morning sun.

Whimsicott can also learn tailwind though, which gives me more variety in what I can use and gives me access to walls like ferrothorn or utilities like amoonguss, or sweepers like breloom, but it only lasts for 4 turns (I assume the turn it's used on counts too, and even U-turn the next turn means the next pokemon only gets 2 turns out of it.)

The problem with both strategies is I might need at least 1 other pokemon that knows both these moves to deal with whimsicott being fainted, it has a 4x weakness to poison and the usual grass problems.

Another thing that is important to me is keeping up fast momentum to negate how much damage I take, probably using things like u-turn or possibly baton pass to never give anyone an opening to hit me on switch-ins but I am not sure how good an idea it is to run u-turn on everyone and I don't think most of my pokemon can learn baton-pass or if it's a good idea because it passes along bad stat changes along with good ones.

I'd also be open to suggestions for status walling people but I don't think a grass monotype team can stall people out long enough for them to die of toxic and I doubt boosting up defense and using drain moves would last long because in most cases it would take one critical hit to get destroyed by an SE move (of which there are many) or even neutral moves in some cases so the best option to me right now looks to be getting things off the field before they can do real damage but I'm definitely willing to be contradicted.

The pokemon I absolutely want on my team right now are:

Jumpluff because...well aside from it being my favorite grass type, it's also fast, acrobatics hurts when it hits, and it has pretty good speed without a boost so assuming I can find a HA hoppip (anyone care to donate? Very Happy) I can run infiltrator and troll those damn barrier users you run into in RU/NU a lot without sacrificing too much speed without chlorophyll.

Whimsicott because of its prowess as a utility pokemon (and also because it's adorable) and because I can run u-turn on it and piss off everyone who tries to switch in a poison-user on me with ferrothorn or another partial poison type.

Pokemon I'm considering:

Leavanny because it's got great potential as an offensive pokemon and can slow down opponents that can outspeed everyone else with sticky web, but sticky web usage might man I can't set up stealth rock which would be a good check for flying-types which I view as my main threat since they're more common than fire. Plus it has a 4x weakness to both those types.

Breloom because even with a 4x flying weakness, it still hurts to get hit by one running poison heal and facade, especially after a swords dance, but the problem is it's a setup sweeper which means someone has 1 turn to nuke me and in my experience with my main team, breloom can't take hits very well and it can't switch in very well either.

Ferrothorn because...ugh, everyone uses this thing so I kinda don't want to but I have to acknowledge that even a 4x weakness to fire doesn't negate how good its steel-typing is for making it a wall, especially for monotypes where people might try to up its teemates on flying or poison. It also has stealth rock which is good for dealing with fire and flying types, the two things I'm most concerned about.

Torterra is an alternative to ferrothorn, I've used one before back in gen 4 and aside from its neutral water damage it actually is quite bulky, but slow. It has access to stealth rock as well and can be used to negate electric attacks that might come in on jumpluff or a grass-water type if I go that route. (I might not just because the only one I know of is ludicolo and he gets benefits from rain, not sun, and lacks a decent ability otherwise.)

Sceptile because it offers me an option besides leavanny for an offensive speedy grass type, as well as a mega evolution, but sceptile's mega ability is rather crap outside doubles (and there is sadly no monotype doubles tier on showdown for me to test on) and while it's unlikely I'll be hit by this type most of the time, it has a 4x weakness to ice which means switching in on water-types who think they can get up in ferrothorn's or torterra's business might not end well for me.

Leafeon and gogoat can serve a similar purpose as a bulky sweeper but gogoat's abilities are relatively useless except for switch-ins or if one of my utils runs grassy terrain which could be an option but it might aid the other team as well. Leafeon could be used with chlorophyll but I don't know what niche it fills in my team with only one type, especially if I already have a sweeper.

Exeggutor because having it troll with solar beam would be hilarious on chlorophyll team and having a psychic type to deal with poison types on tailwind team. Plus, look at that face. It's the face(s) of a champion.

Pokemon I don't want to use but might if the recommendations are good:

Ludicolo because I can't think of a way to keep up momentum with it. It just doesn't fit everyone else with its ability or its niche and having access to water moves for fire types isn't that important to me when some of my other choices can get access to ground types.

Most pokemon with a single type because of the limit placed on STAB moves and because it's hard enough to build around type synergy without throwing out whatever weakness debuff is gained by having dual-types.

Any advice is absolutely welcome. I'm trying to build a gym in my AS base and grass has the most pokemon that I like in it. Very Happy
Ariakai
Belated Slowbro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice on a grass monotype team

Post by Nickjustnick on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:36 pm

You may want to consider roserade as a lead as it's decently fast, can learn toxic spikes to set the groundwork for taking out your opponent's team with toxic, and learns weather ball if you wanted to use the sunny day strategy.

I personally have had luck with Trevenant too: with will-o-wisp and phantom force giving you a free turn to try and get harvest activated again, it can be really annoying to take down (plus horn leech for even more sustain).

Lastly if mega sceptile is giving you some concerns, consider replacing it with mega venusaur. It's incredibly bulky and removes its fire and ice weakness that a lot of the rest of your team will be worried about.

Sorry if you've probably already put together your team by now, I just noticed this was posted back in October oops. But yeah let me know how it goes!
Nickjustnick
Wild Abra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariakai on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Oh thanks for the advice, I haven't been on the forums much lately (RL stuff etc) but I checked my email and saw there was a reply.

With gen 7 released and me not really doing anything with pokemon lately (because of, uh, RL stuff) I actually put it on the back burner but am really interested in also messing with all of the new grass types gen 7 has added when everything gets sorted out but, I think that's still pretty good advice. Getting a treverant might be a problem because I don't think bank trades count as trades but a roserade might be an option.

I am actually partial to mega venusaur but kept seeing everywhere that it "wasn't very good" and became a little discouraged, but I would love to use one for, uh, probably not the best reasons. (It was red's official starter in the manga and I've always selected bulbasaur out of the kanto starters.) so having it backed by a legit strategy is pretty neat. Although, having 2 grass/poison types might be an issue if the enemy team is running psychic or steel.
Ariakai
Belated Slowbro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FutureCreator on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:51 am

Trevenant is in sun and moon, you can catch it fully evolved from the pokep3lago
FutureCreator
Post Level: Banned from Ubers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top