Silver League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie's First Solid Team

4 posters

Go down

team - Newbie's First Solid Team Empty Newbie's First Solid Team

Post by ShinyJettStar Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm relatively new to the competitive scene, as most of my time has been spent shiny hunting. This is the first solid team i've made, though not my first ever. I have made one team before this one, which was SO BAD, i've buried it deep within my mind. I have made other teams on Showdown, but given the fact that this team is the only team I have available on my games at the moment, I figured this is the one that should be judged.
Pokemon: Skarmory, Sylveon, Luxray, Mega Sceptile, Blastoise, and Hydreigon.

SR-71 (Skarmory)
Item: Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD  
Impish Nature  
- Roost  
- Stealth Rock  
- Toxic  
- Iron Head
Skarmory serves as a wall and hazards set up. Skarmory often switches in on steel or poison type attacks for Sylveon, ground type attacks for Luxray, or any time I'm anticipating a toxic. I used to carry brave bird, as it did more damage than iron head, but eventually swapped it out.

Sylvester (Sylveon)
Item: Leftovers  
Ability: Pixilate  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Wish  
- Heal Bell  
- Protect  
- Hyper Voice  
One of 3 Sylveons, Sylvester is the wall, whereas Sylvia is my sweeper. i understand fully that Sylvester would benefit better from a calm or bold nature, depending on the whether I want an all around wall or a special wall, however I haven't really found a time where Sylvester suffered from the lack of a bold nature. I could be wrong, and it could be highly in my interest to get a bold Sylvester. Anywho, Sylveon serves as cleric and sort of a staller once Blastoise or Skarmory have poisoned the opponent, as well as swapping into Dark, dragon, fighting, or bug type moves. (Sylvia carries max Sp.A and max speed, with hyper voice, wish, calm mind, and psyshock, in case anyone wonders. I kinda want to know which sylveon would be best for this particular team.)

Luxury (Luxray)
Item: Choice Scarf  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Volt Switch  
- Wild Charge  
- Ice Fang  
- Crunch  
Once I am able to get ahold of a Guts Luxray, Luxury will be swapped out for a Guts-Toxic Orb-Facade Luxray. but Luxury is what I have right now. Luxray is my favorite pokemon, so of course it had to make it onto my team. Luxray often serves as my main physical attacker, and plows through special walls with poor defenses. (i once had it OHKO a m-Gardevoir with 3 calm minds set up with a wild charge). Luxray doesn't see a whole lot of battle time, as it's low speed and sad deffences allow it to be taken down easy, especially when it's a guts set, but it provides good coverage for my team, and it's my fav pokemon so. it's here to stay.

Sceptiroth (Sceptile-Mega)
Item: Sceptilite  
Ability: Overgrow/Lightning Rod  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Giga Drain  
- Focus Blast  
- Dragon Pulse  
- Substitute  
Never underestimate the power of M-Sceptile. Sometimes, I like to send Sceptile out first just to get it's mega off, as it's ability helps set my team into motion. Blastoise and Skarmory often serve as electric type fodder, which I then send in M-Sceptile to get a boost and clean up shop. almost nothing outspeeds this thing, and with a substitute, it's nearly unstopable. I find the substitute necessary, especially for the glaring number of weaknesses it has.

Morla (Blastoise)
Item: Leftovers  
Ability: Rain Dish  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Toxic  
Morla is probably the most replacable pokemon on this team. Other than serving as a spinner and Electric attack bait for m-Sceptile, Blastoise doesn't really bring a whole bunch to my team, and I'm seriously considering swapping it out for Starmie, as Starmie is FAR better in terms of a rapid spinner.

Maleficent (Hydreigon)
Item: Life Orb  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Flash Cannon  
- Fire Blast  
- Dark Pulse  
Maleficent, like Morla, could be replaced with a different pokemon, since I already have one dragon type in Mega Sceptile. However, Hydriegon does serve more usage than Morla, serving as a pretty decent dark type with a decent steel move that could take fairy types out a little better than Skarmory's iron head. i'm just unsure which to replace it with.

So yeah, that's my team. Suggestions? Comments? Concerns? Please lemme know how I did!
ShinyJettStar
ShinyJettStar
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

team - Newbie's First Solid Team Empty Re: Newbie's First Solid Team

Post by lazykingkong Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Maybe swap out draco metor for dragon pulse for Hydreigon. You'll still get the stab, it has decent power without the drawback of lowering the special attack.

Starmie is definitely the better choice when it comes to a lower attack stat. You're trying to avoid foul play however getting 0 Ivs in attack is a tall order, one which you probably don't need to worry as much over.

Your also relying on a tad too much on toxic as a status leaving your team open to steel types that can also resist stealth rocks. I would suggest will-o-wisp somewhere in here. to take care of poison, steel types (especially if they happen to be physical sweepers in order to cripple them.)

Just to reemphasize I wouldn't worry about trying to get 0 ivs in attack (as long as their Ivs are less than 31 you'll be fine, as well as seeing how the timid nature would also decrease your attack stat.) The only pokemon I'd look out for a foul play would be luxray .

lazykingkong
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by FutureCreator Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 am

Seems pretty well rounded to me, I also really like those nicknames. What I have to say is if you get a guts luxray give it flame orb and not toxic orb.
FutureCreator
FutureCreator
Post Level: Banned from Ubers

Back to top Go down

Post by lazykingkong Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that just hinder his attack?

lazykingkong
Lv. 1 Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenox-rmp Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 pm

lazykingkong wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that just hinder his attack?

It wouldn't because the guts ability ignores burn's attack drop and still doubles it.
Zenox-rmp
Zenox-rmp
Post Level: Banned from Ubers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down